Clive Elliot Jennings Real Estate. Agents specialise in Applecross, Mt Pleasant, Booragoon, Myaree, Fremantle, Bicton, Perth, South of the River

Real Estate Ardross

History
This suburb gets its name from the Scottish “high part of Ross” phrase and Ardross Castle in Scotland.

. Subdivision occurred in 1928 and continued well into the 1950s. Some of the street names have a Scottish flavour and others are derived from pioneers and politicians. Ardross has the heritage listed Wireless Hill, on its western border, the site of Australia’s second coastal radio station, built by the German company Telefunken and completed in 1912. The Applecross Wireless Station was of great importance to international shipping in the Indian Ocean and South East Asia as well as interstate shipping routes. The radio station was instrumental in the beginning of the Great War when it received the news of HMAS Sydney’s victory over the German Raider SMS Emden at the Cocos-Keeling Islands on 9 November 1914. The station ceased operations on 1 July 1968 when the Gnangara station took over. In 1969 the station more commonly known as Wireless Hill was vested in the City of Melville. The Wireless Hill Telecommunications Museum was officially opened in October 1979. The four caretakers’ cottagesstill standing in Hickey Street are now heritage listed. Most of the structures and buildings of Australia’s first radio station, Sydney Radio VIS, at Pennant Hills, NSW were demolished in 1979. Wireless Hill is an urban bushland reserve containing remnant original bushland and wild flowers including nineteen species of orchids and has a varied bird life. It was also known as “Yagan’s Lookout” as it had a commanding view of the surrounding territory. Ardross is the home to the Shirley Strickland Reserve, a sporting complex which caters for several sporting activities. Shirley Strickland was a well-known Olympic sprinter and hurdler, representing Australia in three Olympic Games in 1948, 1952 and 1956, winning three gold medals, one silver and three bronze. She did not represent Australia at the 1960 Rome Games due to her third pregnancy. From 1954 until approximately the early 1960s, the Teneriffe Picture Gardens stood on the corner of Riseley Street and Canning Highway, where the 777 Chemist is now located. The only reminder of this outdoor picture theatre is the projection room, which is still located on the roof of the building...



Clive Elliott Jennings Real Estate - Got a quick question? Call us on + 61 8 9330 5000