Clive Elliot Jennings Real Estate. Agents specialise in Applecross, Mt Pleasant, Booragoon, Myaree, Fremantle, Bicton, Perth, South of the River

Real Estate Attadale

History
This suburb takes its name from a village in Scotland situated on Loch Carron. A first subdivision of A.P. Matheson’s Melville Water Park Estate in 1896 it was known as Attadale Town Site Estate. It proved to be too isolated and remained sparsely populated for many years. Despite a new town plan for the area prepared in 1936 by T.M. Burke & Co, it was not until the late 1950’s that the suburb really developed. Many of the earliest streets surveyed were named after persons associated with A.P. Matheson and the London and West Australian Investment Company of which the Melville Water Park Estate was a project.

Many of Attadale’s streets were named after people associated with Matheson and the London and West Australian Investment Company of which the Melville Park Estate was a project. Other streets were named after men on the muster list of HMS “Challenger”, Captain Charles Fremantle’s ship in 1829. Attadale was part of the Wadjuk Beeliar culture area used for seasonal movement, hunting game and ceremonial purposes. Burke Drive was an area where Aboriginals mined quartz. The river foreshore provided a plentiful supply of fish, shellfish and birdlife for food purposes and thus became a favoured camping place.

Attadale is home to numerous parks and reserves including Attadale Reserve, Troy Park and Alfred Cove Nature Reserve along by the Swan River which is a bird sanctuary and is part of an ongoing foreshore regeneration scheme. It is also part of the Swan River Heritage Marine Park.

Santa Maria College, a Catholic girls’ secondary school in Stoneham Road, opened in February 1938. This was in response to the increased demand for boarding places so the Sisters of Mercy decided to expand from their original site in Perth (now Mercedes College). The original structure (now the administrative building) was the result of a design competition and based on the Spanish influence, which connected the arrival of the Sisters and the Spanish Benedictines in 1846. ‘

Santa Maria’ is Spanish for Holy Maria, and the college is listed on the Municipal Inventory List of the City of Melville.



Clive Elliott Jennings Real Estate - Got a quick question? Call us on + 61 8 9330 5000