The majority of this district was developed between 1901 and 1919 after the gold rush. This area was covered in Zamia Palms, which were toxic to stock and had to be removed. Without machinery, this was very difficult. It is believed a competition was run to find a suitable name for the district and the name Palmyra (a city in the Syrian Desert) was thought to be a play on the words “palm area”. Most streets of Palmyra are named after Middle Eastern connections.